Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Weekend in the Berkshires


After a long bumpy winter, my husband and I packed up our dog and a bag of TJ's groceries and headed to a farm in the Berkshires for the long Easter weekend.



It's official, we're moving to the country. We already live 12 miles from the city (one hour by train, 30 minutes by bus), but rural New England makes even the burbs seem like a rat race. By hour 12 of our vacation we were making a short list of small towns in Massachusetts and New Hampshire where we can get a big cheap piece of land and basically retire at 30.


We've been together for 6 years and traveled quite a bit, but I think our little weekend in a barn was the best trip we've ever had.



We arrived Thursday night and pretty much just went to sleep. On Friday morning, I made us eggs, toast, potatoes, and coffee with supplies we brought along. After breakfast, we walked along the farm and played with the other dogs that reside there.


Lex was in heaven! The entire 20-30 acre farm was fenced so he was able to run and run and run.


Here's a quick snap I was able to take between laps. 

After that we drove around a bit and I hit the local Planet Fitness. I ran a quick 5k, That was all my cardio for the weekend!


I'm clearly on my way out since my hair is insane and I'm in rain boots. Also check out my new lulu hoodie! I bought it on my lunch break on Thursday and didn't change out of it all weekend.

We grabbed some frozen food at the grocery store in town and then fixed ourselves in front of the cozy pallet stove for the rest of the evening. 



By the way, I'm now obsessed with pellet stoves. It got down to the 20's and 30's by nightfall and this thing was CRAZY warm. I've already started to research getting a pallet insert for our fireplace!

I'm loving these over-the-knee socks I ordered from Athleta a few weeks ago. They are on super sale now. I saw them at Anthro over the holidays and passed them by at the time, so I had to add them to my cart when I saw them for $13. They were perfect to lounge around in over the wintry-seeming weekend. 


I had to let them dry on the radiator after an unfortunate rain water incident, but this just made them all the more cozy later!

On Saturday, we had coffee and eggs again and then took L in the car to check out Great Barrington. I didn't snap any photos there, but it's definitely a cute little town! We reveled in the country roads discussing our country lifestyle and then headed back to the cabin to relax and run around with Lex for a bit. 


We left again for dinner to get pizza at a local restaurant and stuffed ourselves, and then came back to read and pass time by the stove. 

Since my husband had his laptop and I had my tablet, it wasn't exactly an "unplugged" weekend, but I spent most of it reading. Here's what I've read since my last book update:

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

This book is awesome! It was a little slow-going for the first quarter, but not so much that I felt the need to give up. I was totally invested by the time I was halfway through. After I finished it, I immediately moved on to the sequel.

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

You don't necessarily need to read these two books in order, but I'm glad I read them together. This book is in the same style and format as The Winter Sea, but with a different setting, a hot psychic Scotsman, and beautifully-written descriptions of 18th century Russia.

Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover by Sarah Maclean

This is a basic romance novel you could pick up at your local Kroger. I checked it out at the library to read for fun on the drive up to the Berks. The writing quality wasn't awful - honestly, it's about on par with Dan Brown, and I've read most of his books too, and the plot was fun. I'm actually kind of bummed because I didn't realize this was the last in a series and has one major plot giveaway. If I go back and read the other three, which I may, then I'm missing out on a big reveal. Alas.

Mariana bu Susanna Kearsley

I loved the ending of this Kearsley novel, but it was written in 1994 and felt pretty dated in some ways. One thing I like about her later novels is the slow, steady development of the love stories, and I didn't think that was really present here. Some parts were thrilling and emotional, but I felt like I was filling in the blanks a lot for myself. It was not my favorite of her books, but it did have the can't-put-it-down factor you want in a vacation read.



We had lunch at my Mother-in-law's house on Sunday before heading home to NJ. On the Easter menu was shish kabobs made on the grill, quinoa salad with black beans, corn, and mandarin oranges, stuffed mushrooms, and these avocado deviled eggs. I was in charge of piping the filling into the eggs so I made sure to snap a pic. 

Everything was delicious and I'm still feeling stuffed two days later. OK, that's not true, I'm stuffed because I just ate a chocolate croissant. Whatever. 

Anyway, if anyone knows of some nice farm land for sale in New England, let me know! In the mean time, I'll be pinning away to my new "Farm Life" board on Pinterest. 

Hope



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!