Friday, March 6, 2015

Healthier Make-Ahead Egg Sandwiches



I feel like I've tried every overnight oats recipe and greek yogurt topping under the sun, but I'm always starving by 11am. I decided to switch to eggs for weekday breakfasts after doing some online research about cholesterol (it turns out one egg a day isn't terribly bad for you).

After considering this recipe from Damn Delicious and this method from the Kitchn, I decided to branch out on my own.

Here's my method that's low-calorie and doesn't involve filling a sheet pan with eggs - a Frittata Sandwich!

I decided to do a simple spinach frittata that I would cut into fourths to store it in the fridge. The other methods suggest you can assemble the sandwiches ahead of time and put them in the freezer, but I prefer to use a freshly-toasted english muffin and just zap the egg in the microwave.


First I wilted some spinach in my cast iron pan with Smart Balance Cooking Spray and pre-heated the oven to 400°. This is an 8" pan, a little smaller than a dinner plate. Perfect for four servings


When the spinach cooked down, I added four eggs, salt, and pepper. 


I added a handful of shredded mozzarella (It's not completely cheeseless, I'm not a monster).


When the cheese was incorporated, I let it set until it was JUST a little runny in the middle. It had already firmed up and pulled away from the sides of the pan when I put it in the oven for about 12 minutes.


Cooling for a couple minutes

 oops I also made cookies




When the frittata was cool, I cut it into fourths and wrapped each piece in parchment paper and put them in a ziplock bag.



 In the morning, I would zap the egg (still in parchment paper) for 30 seconds while an english muffin toasted. I assembled the sandwich with a little ketchup and then re-wrapped the whole thing in the parchment paper and a paper towel (or you can eat it on a plate like a real person).


My assistant was wondering if the model sammy was up for grabs or....?


I hope you enjoy!



Make Ahead Frittata Sandwiches

makes: 4 sandwiches

Ingredients:
cooking spray
4 eggs
salt and pepper
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
4 english muffins

You will also need: a small cast iron pan, parchment paper, and plastic wrap/ziplock bags.

To Make Frittata:
-Preheat oven to 400°
-Beat 4 eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper.
-Spray cast iron pan with cooking spray and add spinach.
-When spinach is about halfway wilted, add eggs to the pan.
-Let the eggs set for a few seconds. Distribute the mozzarella evenly through the pan.
-When the eggs are completely set around the edges and bottom and starting to firm up in the center, place the frittata in the oven. Let it bake for 10-15 minutes until completely set.

To Store Eggs:
-When the frittata is completely cool, slice it into four pieces. Wrap each piece in a generous square of parchment paper and store them all in a ziplock bag.

To Assemble the Sandwich:
-Toast an english muffin or two pieces of toast
-While the bread is toasting, microwave an egg, still wrapped in parchment paper, for 30 seconds.
-Place egg on toasted bread and add ketchup or whatever condiments you're feeling.
-Wrap the entire sandwich in the parchment paper. I like to add a layer of paper towel over the parchment paper to trap heat.
     



4 comments:

  1. now the whole internet knows you eat ketchup on eggs. why didn't you lie and say it was homemade sriracha?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I have to keep it real! I buy Sriracha in a bottle :(

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete