Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saturday Morning Journal 2.28.15


There's more snow on the horizon this weekend. I've accepted that this is my new life but I feel bad for my little dog. He's emptied his indoor toy bucket and when he gets sick of playing indoor ball (where we gently throw the ball 15 feet against the kitchen cabinets) he just lays in a sunbeam looking depressed. We need the snow to melt ASAP.

So far this weekend I've slept for 9 hours,watched two episodes of The Americans, and made  eggs and toast for my husband and myself. We are trying this new thing of eating at the table. I mean, we have out phones out sometimes, but we're sitting at an actual table and not the couch so it feels like a step up. 

Exercising
I signed up for a new fitness challenge that will take place at the end of April. I'll write more about that soon. Luckily, just the act of signing up has reinvigorated my fitness. I'm also taking my first ever Physique 57 class next week and I can't wait. I do Barre 1-2 times a week now so I wonder if it will be difficult for me or just feel like another barre class.

Monday - Cardio Barre
Tuesday - ran 3.1 miles on the treadmill
Wednesday - rest day  (had a long meeting after work)
Thursday - ran 2 miles on treadmill
Friday - ran 3.1 miles on the treadmill

I realized I never write about my work fitness! Besides my gym and class workouts, a few of my coworkers and I meet up every afternoon and do some basic equipment-less exercises for a couple minutes. We try to do it around 4pm when everyone wants to kill themselves and eat a brownie. Right now we are doing ab exercises, planks, and push ups. We did a squats challenge previously and got up to 250 squats. It was fun but hard on the knees.

I really recommend starting this with some friends if you have an office job, for two reasons:

1. When you plank 5 days a week for 4 months, you feel the results in every physical activity you do.

2. Listening to Britney, laughing, and doing crunches for 10 minutes will actually make you feel better than a Starbucks croissant or half a milky way. Crazy but true.


On Thursday there was no one using the women's weight/stretch room so I went selfiecrae. I was tired from running though so this was the best I could do. Wassup $30 water bottle. 



Wearing

I honestly can't remember, can you guys? My pea coat. Big headphones as earmuffs. Hunter boots with two pairs of socks. I think I wore a sports bra to work yesterday. Fuck everything.

Eating

Lemon Feta Zoodles twice this week

One of my friends at work has been insisting I try this zoodle recipe on Inspiralized and I finally did - twice. I don't eat chicken so I just omitted it. HOLY COW! The lemon and garlic is so flavorful. This recipe has very few ingredients and comes together quickly. I'll be making it again and again. 

I know I never shut up about spiralizing but it's the BEST. I obviously preordered the Inspiralized cookbook and read it cover to cover when it arrived on my doorstep. Once I finish this entry I'm going to get my shopping list ready. 

You guys need to get a spiralizer. By you guys, I mean my sister, since she's the only one reading this. Honor, GET A SPIRALIZER. 



I bought this Blueprint coffee drink as a treat to have on Tuesday since I was going to a show after work and wouldn't have time for a proper meal between the gym and curtain. I didn't want to "detox" or "cleanse" anything, I just though a cashew coffee milkshake would be delicious. I will buy one now and again, maybe, but overall I think the bottled juice (or meal replacement) thing is not for me. 

Not pictured: The Office Girl Scout Mom delivered the goods this week.  I know you have one in your office too--every year, she comes by with the sign up sheet like a cookie angel and you throw $24 at her. Months pass and you forget. You pass by the Oreos at the supermarket and an idle memory of writing "samoas" on a glossy spreadsheet in ballpoint pen surfaces in your brain. Then it happens. The email subject - Cookies are here! With a parenthetical smiley face. 

God help us all. 


Reading:
        


I'm on a JoJo Moyes binge after my coworker lent me three of her books. I've finished One Plus One and Me Before You. I loved them both, Me Before You especially. I bought myself a copy of that one after returning it. According to Google, there is a movie version in the works starring Sam Claflin and Emilia Clarke.

Now I'm on The Girl You Left Behind. Her books are romantic and extremely poignant, but still funny. She reminds me a more depressing Marian Keyes. I recommend her  - start with Me Before You. 

This Week in Culture

I went to see On the Twentieth Century at Roundabout on Tuesday and loved it! I'm always happy to see a show but I'm a particular fan of dancey musicals. Kristen Chenoweth is an amazing performer - I hadn't seen her live since I saw Wicked 12 years ago and it was great to watch her show her stuff again.

Peter Gallagher has been out all week. It was kind of a bummer because I want to see Sandy Cohen sing and dance, but his understudy James Moye was really fun to watch with Kristen, and he has a great voice. 

Jamie. Dornan. Tho. 

I also want to confess that I've been listening to the Fifty Shades of Gray Soundtrack. I haven't seen the movie yet - at this point it was probably be a Netflix thing for me - but I'm loving Bey and Ellie Goulding's songs. I've been a fan of Danny Elfman since Nightmare Before Christmas and the score doesn't disappoint. I almost don't want to see the film and put the songs in context. 



And now I'm off to the grocery store and to find my dog the biggest, most complicated bone in New Jersey.

Hope

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!