Saturday, January 31, 2015

Saturday Morning Journal 1.31.15

Firewood going unused

I was really looking forward to a giant snowstorm, but in truth I think this whole Juno debacle worked out for the best. I got 1.5 free days at home with my pup and the snow is still gently falling three days later.

Exercising



In an exciting twist, I have real pictures this week! We went on a snowy hike last Sunday and it was so fun and made for a nice change. This is halfway up the mountain - I'm all smiles because I haven't fallen down in the snow 900 times yet.

Monday - ran 2 miles
Tuesday - ran 2.5 miles
Wednesday - Barre
Thursday - ran 2 miles
Friday - ran 1 mile

I did manage the gym all week but didn't do much other than bust out a couple of ten-minute miles. I was short on time and felt an overwhelming need to nest and watch movies, since it's 19° outside. Still, I'm glad I got my heart racing even if only for 20 minutes.

Wearing



If you haven't done this already, go to Asos, search "oversized scarf," pick your favorite, buy it, wait 5 days for it to arrive in the mail, and wear it every single day. You're welcome. 




I stuck with the basic black one. Don't get it twisted, there is a reason this was 25 bucks. It's basically just a big swath of an acrylic knit. But by god, it's the perfect width and just as unbreathable as you want in a January scarf. I'll take it off in April.

Eating



I'm still obsessed with English Muffins and Earth Balance. Additionally, I snacked on waaay too many Tostito's but let's just not even go there.

I made homemade chocolate chip cookies on Monday night in preparation for the snow storm because it's a rule. They're obviously all gone now.

I'm at a point in my cooking game where I have enough basic knowledge to throw some shit together and produce a half-way decent dinner. I'm going to be the best mom. This week, I made black beans for the first time without consulting allrecipes.com, and they were exactly perfect.

This photo is amazing like how do I not work for Bon Appetit right now


How to make Hope's Black Beans:
1. Drain and rinse half a can of black beans. Feed the rest of the can to your dog.

2. Chop up a garlic clove and lightly fry (OMG YOU HAVE 3 SECONDS IT'S GOT NO SURFACE AREA). Add a pinch of cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper and stir it all about.

3. Add in the beans and get everything all hot and mixed together. Taste and check the seasonings.

4. Pour the hot beans over spinach and top with an egg and salsa. Add avocado, if it's one of those special days where the avocados in your kitchen are ripe.


Reading:

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

I purchased this book somewhat impulsively after skimming some reviews on Goodreads. I saw the words "loved it," "jacobites," "time travel," and all my synapses began to fire. I mean, look, we are still 3 months out of a new episode of Outlander and probably a couple years from a new book. I'll take what I can get.

It started a little slow but now I'm actually really into it! I'll likely finish it this weekend.

On the Media

Supermarket Psychology - I'm extremely susceptible to marketing and this article is making me feel the strug. I totes stick to the perimeters of the Supermarket but still spend $40 on granola every week, and I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

Um, Scandal this week?! Talk about thrilling TV. I love Scott Foley.


Now it's time for a haircut and some puppy snuggles!

Hope

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!