Friday, January 2, 2015

I've Been Taking Pictures of My Food for Six Months


First of all, do you like my awesome college? My husband helped me do it in Photoshop.

I've been taking pictures of my meals for a few months now so that I have a visual reference of healthy snacks and portion sizes. I don't post them on IG or anything, and as you can see by the blurry snaps that the photos were never really meant for public consumption. But now I have a blog and maybe someone out there is interested in different ways one can assemble apple slices and toast.

Since getting married and talking more frequently about starting a family, I decided I had to crack down on my "you only live once" eating habits and get serious about my health. I don't want to go into a pregnancy addicted to refined sugars and diet coke, only to give birth and find myself sluggish and sick while working and raising a family. I've lost 40 pounds so far, but more importantly, I've grown to love exercising and healthy food. Diet and exercise you guys, who knew?

Even on days (like today) where I eat a gingerbread cookie every time I pass through the kitchen, I try to balance out my meals so that my veggie portion is as big as or bigger than whatever bread element I've incorporated. For protein, since I'm a vegetarian, I either have beans (hummus is a bean!), eggs, yogurt, cheese, or peanut butter.

I love cooking and baking - right now I have brioche dough chilling in the fridge - but eating healthy on a weekday usually means assembling something fast before my husband can speed-dial a pizzeria. These pictures are definitely weekday meals - yogurt and granola, peanut butter jelly, store-bought guac and cut up veggies, that kind of a thing. The Brioche (oh god - I hope it turns out) is a post for another day.

-Hope


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!